Saturday, September 19, 2009


As I sit here writing the blog I have a million thoughts running through my head. There were so many fabulous things about the conference and I want to be sure to let you know about all of them.

To begin, I registered for the conference to network with other women in business and see how I could infuse needlework into mainstream society. It seems most people have a set idea of what a needleworker looks like and it seems I don’t fit that mold. It was actually kind of fun to talk to women and see their reaction when I told them about Loose Thread Stitchers. Most knew someone who can knit, crochet, stitch, etc. but didn’t think they could do it. Good thing brought a few fun kits to help get them started. It was so fun to see the look of accomplishment on their faces as they got it. I also handed a list of local shops so they could get supplies and of course a card with the LTS website info so they could find anything else they might need. We are thrilled that all 5 ladies joined the site and are excited about learning to stitch and finding events in their area.

The conference had quite a few offerings. The first was a massive exhibitor hall. An amazing array of exhibitors were present, each offering amazing deals, lots of specials and great info about their companies. My first stop was the Girl Scouts table as LTS is working with Funk and Weber on the Needle and ThREAD campaign. The Girl Scouts were quite receptive to the idea of partnering to introduce needlework to the next generation and we set up a meeting next week to discuss further. We also have a professor at Penn State University interested in studying how our campaign helps children get excited about reading and needlework. How fabulous is that? I am so excited!

I was also able to connect with Tori Johnson of Women for Hire (you might know her from Good Morning America) who was a keynote speaker and thank her for connecting me with Christina of CPeteyDesigns. A few weeks back I was on a Live Chat that was hosted by Tori and I mentioned I needed a logo designer for the SYHO campaign and I could not find someone who knew needlework and could create an attention getting design. Tori opened up the board and Christina contacted me. I can’t wait to reveal the SYHO campaign and Christina’s fabulous work! I am tickled pink it all worked out and was so excited to tell Tori all about it! Guess what? She wants to do some press about needlework! Isn’t that so cool? We will talk next week and get things rolling.

Finally, and probably most importantly, I had the opportunity to speak with a Director of Corporate Governance. She was quite excited about Loose Thread Stitchers and the SYHO campaign. She was able to give me a boat load of ideas and some fabulous advice on how to really get the public excited about needlework, how to get them involved and score national press. The best part? She is willing to work with us and help us connect with the right people to make sure that happens.

To say that the conference was a success is an understatement. The women I met, the connections I made, are all a big step towards getting people excited about needle and thread. Helping non-stitchers know what we already know, how amazing stitching really is. How fabulous you feel when you are doing it, how it helps to de-stress, how it makes your heart happy, how you grow and blossom as a person on your journey through life and it can all be seem in your stitches. It is a very exciting time for needlework and I am so excited to be a part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment